It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Owner of files created by PHP script
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:19 am 
Clients

Hi,

I have been testing a PHP script that uses templates to generate .html pages for a small site. (one provides the template variables like ".title", and it replaces it with the current value of this variable,etc.; thereby generating a .html page).

The problem here is that the owner of the .html file thus created would be the user (usually 'nobody' or 'apache') under which apache or php is being run. Unless I chmod() all such files to 0777 within that script, it is not possible for me to later delete/manipulate such .html files or folders (generated by this script) using FTP.

I have tried to look into chown(), but it only works for the superuser.

I am looking for a way to chown() the files created by such a script to my own username, so I can later modify these files at will. Any ideas?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:47 am 
Sprintserve Staff

Hi MM,

This has unfortunately been an issue with PHP not running under CGI mode. At this moment, this is the limitation of using PHP for a task that you have in mind. Due to the implications of using CGI mode, we are currently not looking at implementing.

The workaround is to either use CGI for what you have in mind, or to simply request once a while for us to reset the permissions for you.

Please feel free to contact us if you have more doubts or need more assistance on this issue. Thanks for hosting with us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:07 pm 
Clients

ok. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:25 am 
Sprintserve Staff

For those who are still interested in the issue, we have recently converted all our servers to run PHP in CGI mode which will allow all PHP scripts to run as the owner of the scripts. This will solve this issue mentioned here. For more information on the impact, you can refer to:

viewtopic.php?t=79